Dr. Yong Zheng is currently a tenure-track Assistant Professor at Department of Information Technology and Management, College of Computing, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA. He obtained his PhD degree in computer and information sciences from DePaul University in Chicago. Prior to IIT-Chicago, he worked with Dr. Bamshad Mobasher and Dr. Robin Burke on Recommender Systems and User Modeling.
His research interests lie in Data Science, FinTech, Personalizations, Recommender Systems, Human-Centric Computing, Technology-Enhanced Learning, and so forth. His research were published in reputational conferences and journals, such as KDD, ICDM, CIKM, RecSys, UMAP, IUI, SAC, UMUAI, Neurocomputing, etc. He is active in professional services. He was invited to serve on the organization committee in serveral ACM conferences, such as ACM RecSys, ACM UMAP, ACM IUI, ACM Hypertext. He served on the editoral board for JIIS, FIBD and IJEntTM. He is a PC member and reviewer for several well-known academic conferences and journals, such as IJCAI, KDD, SIGIR, WWW, RecSys, UMAP, TOIS, TIST, TiiS, TKDE, UMUAI, etc.
- 08/2018 – Present, Assistant Professor, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA
- 08/2016 – 08/2018, Senior Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA
- 09/2016 – 06/2017, Part-time Lecturer, DePaul University, Chicago, USA
- 06/2015 – 11/2015, Data Scientist at Pandora Media, Inc., Oakland, USA
- 2023 - 2024
- 02/2023, I was one of the selected speakers at INFORMS Business Analytics Conference, 2023
- 02/2023, CFP, Special Issue on "Challenges and New Opportunities in Next-Generation Recommender Systems" at Electronics
- 01/2023, ITM-Rec: An Open Data Set for Educational Recommender Systems, is released on Github and Kaggle
- 01/2023, PI, NSF grant to support participations at ACM IUI 2023
- 01/2023, I will give a tutorial on "Multi-Criteria Decision Making and Recommender Systems" at ACM IUI 2023
2021 - 2022
2021 - 2022
- 12/2022, PI, ACM SIGAI Travel Fund for ACM IUI 2023
- 11/2022, I will serve as Sponsor Co-Chair at ACM IUI, Australia, Mar, 2023
- 10/2022, I will serve as Publicity Chair at ACM RecSys, Singapore, Sep, 2023
- 09/2022, I will give a tutorial on "Multi-Objective Optimization and Recommendations" at IEEE ICDM 2022
- 08/2022, I served as the Lead Guest Editor for the special issue on "Information Technology Education" to be published at Education and Information Technologies, Springer
- 07/2022, PI, AWS Cloud Credit Award to support Research on Deep Recommender Systems
- 07/2022, I was invited to deliver a Keynote Speech, "Multi-Objective Optimization and News Recommendations", at the International Workshop on News Recommendation and Analytics (INRA) @ ACM SIGIR 2022, July 2022
- 06/2022, PI, Industry Grant (#220300) by Morningstar, Inc.
- 05/2022, PI, ACM SIGCHI Development Fund
- 04/2022, I served as the Workshop Co-Chair for the 3rd Workshop on Personalization & Recommender Systems in Financial Services (FinRec) at ACM RecSys 2022
- 04/2022, I served as the guest editor for the topic on "Rising Stars in Recommender Systems 2022" at Frontiers in Big Data
- 03/2022, I will serve as Program Chair at ACM SIGITE 2022 to be held in September, 2022
- 02/2022, I served as a panelist for the Joint Panel Discussion on Data Science organized by IIT and Rust College
- 01/2022, I joined the Editorial Board of the Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (JIIS), Springer
- 01/2022, PI, Google Cloud Credit Award to support Research on Deep Recommender Systems
- 01/2022, I will serve as student support chair at ACM UMAP 2022 and ACM Hypertext 2022
- 12/2021, CFP: Special Issue on "Affective Computing and Recommender Systems" at Applied Sciences
- 12/2021, I will give an invited talk, "Recommender Systems Using Multi-Objective Optimization: An Overview", at IECI 2021.
- 11/2021, I was given the Excellence in Research Award by College of Computing at Illinois Institute of Technology, USA.
- 09/2021, I will give an invited talk (with Shlomo Engelson Argamon @ CS department), "Demystifying Data Science for Business Intelligence: Understanding Its Landscape and Deploying It Effectively", at AT&T, Inc.
- 08/2021, I will attend the training workshop "Data-Driven Cybersecurity"
- 05/2021, I will give a tutorial on "Multi-Objective Recommendations" at KDD 2021
- 05/2021, PI, ACM SIGCHI Development Fund
- 04/2021, I joined the Editorial Board of Frontiers in Big Data (FIBD), Frontiers
- 01/2021, Serve as student support chair at ACM UMAP 2021 and ACM IUI 2021
- 01/2021, Track Chair, Track on Recommender Systems @ ACM SAC 2021
2019 - 2020
2019 - 2020
- 08/2020, I will give a Keynote talk at CARS workshop @ ACM RecSys 2020
- 05/2020, Serve as Student Volunteer Co-Chair at ACM IUI, Texas, USA, 2021
- 04/2020, PI, NSF grant to support students in ACM UMAP 2020 & 2021
- 02/2020, Collaboration with Digby's Detective & Security Agency, Inc. to predict crimes over Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) services
- 01/2020, Serve as student support chair at ACM UMAP 2020
- 12/2019, Invited talk on "Multi-Stakeholder Recommendations" at Morningstar, Inc.
- 06/2019, Track Chair, Track on Recommender Systems @ ACM SAC 2020
2017 - 2018
2017 - 2018
- 10/2018, Serve as student support chair at ACM UMAP 2019
- 05/2018, Track Chair, Track on Recommender Systems @ ACM SAC 2019
- 04/2018, PI, NSF grant to support students in ACM UMAP 2018 & 2019
- 03/2018, Workshop Chair, Workshop on RecSysKTL @ ACM RecSys 2018
- 10/2017, Serve as publicity chair for ACM RecSys 2018, ACM IUI 2018 and ACM IUI 2019
- 10/2017, Serve as student support chair at ACM UMAP 2018
- 09/2017, Honored as a distinguished reviewer by ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems
- 07/2017, Invited talk on "Context-Aware Recommendations" at The University of Glasgow, UK
- 05/2017, Track Chair, Track on Recommender Systems @ ACM SAC 2018
- 04/2017, Distinguished Student Supervisor Nominees, IIT, Chicago, USA
- 02/2017, Workshop Chair, Workshop on RecSysKTL @ ACM RecSys 2017